Flowers blooming in a field

File a Report of Harassment, Discrimination, Sexual Violence or other Prohibited Conduct


MAKE An online report of discrimination, harassment, bias, hate, sexual violence, or retaliation

If you have experienced, witnessed or been informed of an incident of sexual harassment, sexual violence (sexual assault, relationship violence and stalking), retaliation or other conduct prohibited by the UC Sexual Violence and Sexual Harassment Policy, please file a report with us using the online reporting portal.

This reporting portal may also be used to report

If you prefer to report in person, by phone, or email, you may contact the Office of Civil Rights to make a report or to schedule a meeting with a staff member.  

If you are looking to report a different issue or concern, the help@UCR website can guide you to other campus offices and reporting options.  

Online Reporting

The online report is for UCR students, faculty, staff, or visitors. This includes incident reporting by non-confidential UCR employees, including student employees. (See "Do I Need to Report This?" if you have questions about employee reporting obligations.)  You may report anonymously, without giving us your name.  All reports are handled with discretion and respect.  

MAKE An online report of discrimination, harassment, bias, hate, sexual violence, or retaliation 

What Happens After You Make a Report?

Professional staff will assess the report to determine whether what you have reported is covered by our policies and the appropriate action. 

  • In most cases, we reach out by email to the person who was reported to have experienced the prohibited conduct.  We provide information, including rights and options if relevant.  If they would like to meet with a staff member, we will discuss what steps could be taken to address the situation, and answer any questions. 
  • To learn more about rights, options and resources for those reported to have experienced conduct prohibited by the SVSH Policy, see UCR's Rights & Options for Students and Rights & Options for Faculty & Staff

You are Protected from Retaliation and for Related Conduct Charges

Our policies protect you from retaliation.   Retaliation FAQs

In addition, student complainants or witnesses will not be disciplined for student conduct policy violations that occur around the time of the alleged conduct that are related to alcohol or drugs.* 

*Unless the University determines that the violation was egregious such as conduct that risked someone's health or safety, or involved plagiarism, cheating, or academic dishonesty.

For questions about accessibility or to request an accommodation, please contact us at (951) 827-7070 or

External Reporting Options

UCR encourages students, faculty, and staff to contact the Office of Civil Rights with complaints and concerns, so that we have the opportunity to work to address the concern.  We also provide information about how you may report discrimination, harassment (including sexual violence) and retaliation to regulatory entities, outside of UCR. 

  • Options for Students

    Students may file complaints with the U.S. Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights (OCR).  OCR has a website that explains how to file a discrimination complaint.  Other reporting options include:

    • U.S. Department of Education Office for Civil Rights, Lyndon Baines Johnson Department of Education Building, 400 Maryland Ave., SW, Washington, DC 20202-1100 or or (800) 421-3481, 800-877-8339 (TDD), or
    • U.S. Department of Education's San Francisco Office: (415) 486-5555, or

    If you are a student employee and your complaint relates to your role as an employee, the options for employees may also be available to you. 

  • Options for Employees

    Employees may file complaints with

    • the California Civil Rights Department by using one of the three complaint methods described on their website
    • the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), as explained on the EEOC's website.  The local EEOC office is located at Roybal Federal Building, 255 East Temple St., 4th Floor, Los Angeles, CA 90012.  The EEOC encourages complainants to schedule an intake appointment online using their portal.  
    • the U.S. Department of Education Office for Civil Rights, as described on their website.  Complaint options include online, by mail or phone at: U.S. Department of Education Office for Civil Rights, Lyndon Baines Johnson Department of Education Building, 400 Maryland Ave., SW, Washington, DC 20202-1100 or or (800) 421-3481, 800-877-8339 (TDD), or through the Department’s San Francisco Office: (415) 486-5555, or
  • Options for Residents and Fellows (UCR SOM and UCR Health)

    Residents and Fellows may file a complaint related to a medical education program (for example, for failure to prevent or appropriately respond to sexual harassment) with the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME).

  • Patients

    Patients may file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Office for Civil Rights, electronically through the Office for Civil Rights Complaint Portal , or by mail or phone at: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services 200 Independence Avenue, SW Room 509F, HHH Building Washington, D.C. 20201 1-800-368-1019, 800-537-7697 (TDD). Complaint forms are available online.

    Complaints may also be made to the California Department of Public Health’s Regional Office at 3901 Lennane Drive, Suite 210, Sacramento, CA 95834, (916) 263-5800, (800) 554-0354, (916) 263-5840 (fax).

    Additionally, patients can file a complaint against a licensed medical professional, including physicians, nurses, psychologists and others through the California Department of Consumer Affairs. They can also visit this Consumer Affairs website, which will allow them to access websites to file complaints about any licensed professional in the State of California.

Do I Need to Report This?

Faculty and staff at UCR--including student employees--who receive certain types of information are required to share that information with other offices or entities, either by referring the matter, notifying the other office, or by making their own report.

If you have questions about Responsible Employee reporting obligations relating to sexual violence and sexual harassment under the SVSH Policy, the UC Frequently Asked Questions may be helpful.

Other reporting obligations are summarized in UCR's Reporting Obligations Chart.